Old 20-03-2013, 04:24 AM   #1
elspeth

Type of Diabetes: Type 1
diabetes and crohns
I was hoping to get some suggestions on how to manage both conditions, I've had diabetes for 16 years and crohns for 4 months and find it difficult to marry to conditions. I have had 10 weeks of steroids during which time the blood glucose readings were awful. Now I'm off them I thought things would settle but it hasn't.
Please help, any info would be great. Thank you.
elspeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #2
Caroline

Type of Diabetes: Type 2
Hope you get some help soon. Sorry I can't offer any advice but someone is sure to be along soon to help.
Old 20-03-2013, 13:39 PM   #3
Caroline

I'm giving this a little push in the hopes that someone who can help will see it and be able to help.
Old 21-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
cherrypie

Hi elspeth,

I have Crohn's and Type2. It is a juggling act when you have a flare up but I find that the Crohn's has to take precedence.

I used to take steroids when things were bad but it used to take about 10 days afterwards before my blood sugars were stable again. I now take daily medication, Pentasa, which although it does not stop the flare ups reduces the severity of them. You need regular appointments with Gastroeneterology so that they can keep an eye on your progress and suggest things you can try.

Have you been asked to keep a food diary to try and pinpoint any suspect foods? I tried this in the early days but could not find the culprits even after I thought I had. I could eat the same thing again and had no flare ups. It really is a pain in the proverbial. (Excuse the pun).

I find that when things are bad I have to eat a very bland diet, boiled rice, steamed fish or chicken and white bread, shock horror. Saturated fats also seem to aggravate things.

Ask any questions and I will try and help and remember that imodium is your best friend at times. You can get much cheaper versions in the supermarkets or you may be lucky and get your G.P. to prescribe some. I always have a supply indoors and in my car and handbag. The flare ups can start with no warning and you need immediate relief if you are out and about to save embarrassment.

You can get a printed card which you can show in shops asking if you can use their toilet because you have Crohn's, ?15!!!!!!!, but I find it easier to know where the public toilets are wherever I go.

Hope this helps in a small way.

Take care,

Maisie.