Please submit your Hero/Heroine via our Contact Us page, and send us your nominations.
You may not post new threads but you can reply to these threads offering congratulations and support.

Old 25-08-2010, 19:10 PM   #1
Dawney

Type of Diabetes: Type 1
My Life, I Nearly Lost It
Hi All,

Its been a long time since I visted this site, I hope you are all well? I just wanted to share my thoughts and experience so far with my jourmey of being a type 1 diabetic.

In 2006 I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. At the age of 36 I found it quite dificult to take in as up until then I did what I wanted in my life food and drink wise. At first I accepted the condition and controlled my levels well. I then found myself getting quite angry with it especially when I experienced hypos and found the whole routine of testing and injecting dreadfull. My anger issues were "WHY ME, what had I done?" My social life changed, the people who loved me annoyed me with "have you tested?", "have you done your injection?", "can you eat that?". I wanted to scream at them to stop fussing and leave me alone when all they were doing was caring and loving me.

I got more and more depressed and spoke to nobody, not even my supportive husband who loves me. Work was unpleasant with me and made me feel being a diabetic was dirty and a obese persons condition. I started to drink alcohol on a daily basis and my social life and my good control suffered.

I left my job and got another job that I really enjoyed but unfortunatley, I was made redundant, this made my depression worse.

I found a new job which to this day I am still employed in.

My experience with my old employer really affected me and I felt very angry and decided to ignore my condition to the point of not testing and I stopped taking my insulin. My drinking got worse and I was pushing the people that loved and cared for me away. I lied when they asked me about my testing and injecting.

My health then started to deteriorate, I went from a weight of 11 stone to less than 8 stone and looked very thin almost anorexic. Again my husband and family and close friends worried and I fobbed them of with more lies.

In May 2010 my health took a very serious dip. I started with an ear infection and went to my GP, the day after I came home from work ill. On the 28th May the day, my husband & i will never forget, my husband found me in our bedroom unconscious and fitting. I was taken by ambulance to Wythenshawe hospital to the intensive care unit. I was in a coma with high suger levels and high keytones. I was in a coma for 10 days with less than a 30% chance of living. I was unable to breath for myself and started with serious complications with my kidneys, I also could have been brain damaged due to lack of oxygen. My husband and immediate family were taken to a relatives room and told to brace themselves over that Bank Holiday weekend that I might not pull through. Ten days later the intensive care doctors decided to try and bring me out of the coma to which they did.

I spent another week in intensive care on a dialysis machine for my kidneys and I had to have physio to gain strengh in my arms and legs and learn to walk again.

This came as a massive shock and wake up call to me. I had been so deceiptfull to my loved ones who were at my bedside day and night throughout this trauma. I can never repay them for there unconditional love and support they gave me and still do tho this day.

Once I was stable I was moved to a ward and was there for another 2 weeks. I was on a strict renal diet to help my kidneys and lots of fluids. I was sent for a scan on my kidneys and was told I might lose my right kidney. I was devastated. I had many visits from the diabetic nurses and doctors who showed me care and support they made me realise that I can live with diabetes, the knowledge and care they gave me was immense.

I then realised after missing my 39th Birthday and knowing I could have died and left behind a heart broken husband, step-daughter, family and friends I needed to face and beat my fears head on. I listened to my diabetic team wrote in my note pad all the things on my mind and questions, no matter how silly they seemed, regarding diabetes, and I craved knowledge and got more determined and stronger.

Due to the dedication of the diabetic team at Wythenshawe the support of my husband, friends and family I have got mentally stronger over my diabetes, that its not my fault or its dirty, that I can have a life and be happy. I left hospital after the renal team confirmed my right kidney was no loner at risk as long as I stopped drinking alcohol and controled my diabetes.

I have spend the last 3 months at home getting better and stronger. I no longer drink due to a support group I attend. I go to all my diabetic and doctor appointments. I test my suger levels 4/5 times per day, I TAKE MY INSULIN.

I am a very luck lady, I could have done some very serious damage to my health, I could have died, lost my kindney or gone blind.

I am dealing now with neuropathy in my feet which my doctor has given me medication to treat it. I want to share my story with you all as its imperative you look after yourself and don't be in denial. When ever you feel down, share your feeling and fears don't hide them away TALK to your team, your partner family and friends, do not let diabetes rule you, it doesn't have to be that way, you can live with it and feel normal again.

Its taken me 4 year to realise this and a near death experience. Dont let this be you. I know have my suger levels under control and I write them down in my home monitoring diary daily, any questions I have I ring my team they are there for you to ask and talk to, its there job to support you. Don't think your pestering them. Use the internet for knowledge stay POSITIVE and HAPPY.

I hopy my story helps, don't ignore the condition look what nearly happened to me. I still have a lot to learn as I might not have been here today to write this.

I am no expert. I hope my story inspires anyone with type 1 or 2 who feels down or frightened to come to terms with diabetes. Feel free to drop me a line if anyone feels down and needs a cheery positive chat. Thats what I want to give to people after my trauma.

Best wishes
Dawn
Old 25-08-2010, 19:18 PM   #2
Steff
Little Miss Chatterbox

Type of Diabetes: Type 2
Wow Dawney so brave of you to write all that hun, what a torrid time you have had this is one inspirational post im just so sorry you had to go through it all,Your post should be put on the top of the messageboards as a sticky and left there for people who ever doubt why this condition should not be taken 100% serious.

Im so pleased your here to tell us this story.

Take good care and please dont be a stranger on here x
Old 25-08-2010, 19:19 PM   #3
lucy123

Dawney, thank you so very much for sharing your story - that takes courage in itself. Your story made me cry - and i would love to give you a big hug as the last few months must have been so hard. A great big pat on the back for sorting your drinking too.

I was actually feeling a bit sorry for myself today, but your story has put things in perspective. I just want you to know I have just and only a little started to waver on my diet - and you have kicked me into gear. So there, your story has helped one person already. I wish you a speedy recovery in every way possible.
Old 25-08-2010, 19:22 PM   #4
Adrienne

Type of Diabetes: Parent
Oh blimey Dawn you have got me spouting tears here. I'm not really sure what to say and I am never stumped for words. I don't have diabetes, so have absolutely no idea how you or any of the others on this forum feel. I only know what it is like from a mum's point of view so can only imagine a tiny bit what it must have been like for them.

What a sad story and my heart goes out to you.
Old 25-08-2010, 19:25 PM   #5
Hazel

Dawn - God bless you

Thank you for sharing your story here - what a time you have had.

I am so pleased that you are on the mend and you are lucky enough to have family, friends and medics who are helping you

Keep well sweet pea and keep in touch

Best wishes
Old 25-08-2010, 19:28 PM   #6
FairyNuff

Well I am sat here in tears after reading that Dawn and it's not all pregnancy emotions!

Thanks you so much for sharing your story, I'm recently diagnosed at 35, similar age to you. I'm trying to stay positive but I am very scared right now. I'm 29 weeks pregnant, I have 2 sons and a lovely, supportive husband. I'm very lucky I'm not alone, I don't think I'd be coping so well if I didn't have them. I just wish I could fast-forward to a stage where my blood sugar is under control and I understand my body!

I'm so pleased that you are in a happy place now and leaving all that stress behind you. I will come back and read this whenever I feel out of control. I'm sure it will help a lot - thank you and carry on taking care of yourself x
FairyNuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 19:41 PM   #7
Northerner
Admin

Dawney, thank you so much for returning and sharing your experiences with us. What you have written is extremely powerful and I'm sure every person here is so glad to hear that you have come out the other side of these traumatic times and are now on the mend.

You, my dear, are a very special lady, thank you for your courage - remember that you are always very welcome here, and you will find yourself amongst friends.

Best wishes to you and all your wonderful family for the support they have given you in overcoming your fears and demons.
Northerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 20:13 PM   #8
Andy HB

A very powerful post Dawney.

I do so hope that those in denial read it and take note.

Andy
Andy HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 20:15 PM   #9
am64

good luck dawn ...x
am64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 20:25 PM   #10
Robster65

Hi Dawn.

A very serious reminder to us all about testing and maintaining some positivity. I dare say we've all had times when it got to us and it's an easy path to slide down.

Glad you've come through without too much damage and that you've managed to turn it all around.

Thanks for sharing.

Rob