Old 21-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #11
Copepod

Type of Diabetes: Type 1
Plus, it's perfectly normal to feel thirsty due to dehydration, due to heat, exertion, not enough fluid intake etc, all regardless of blood sugars, although many people do feel thirsty when blood sugars are high, and sometimes when low.
Old 21-06-2013, 17:05 PM   #12
Guyfrombrum

Type of Diabetes: Type 2
Well i saw my diabetic nurse today as i had my bloods done last week and had to go and see the results. She was concerned about something so she recommended me to see the doctor.

So i went to see the doctor who was pretty concerned about my weight loss. Nearly three stones since April 2013. I told her how i'd changed my diet and i go for walks, etc. She wasn't convinced so has told me to take my Metfartys twice in the morning and twice at night. She also prescribed Ziclaseg 30mg and told me to check and note sugar levels four times a day (not looking forward to this bit i hate pricking). I've to see her again on Tuesday pm. She thinks i might be a type 1 after all. I hope not.

Anyway i mentioned the 'not with it episodes' to her and all she advised me was to make sure i have food and drink before, during and after heavy sports. That was it really. I've no idea what was happening but i can still remember the echoing, the disorientation, a kind of feeling like i'm going to pass out but didn't. Oh well.

I've apologised to the wife in advance for the effects of having two metafartys before bed he he.
Old 21-06-2013, 17:10 PM   #13
LeeLee

Hi GFB, see if having low-carb meals with the metfarty reduces the antisocial effects. I find it hard to live with myself if I have a high carb meal with the tablets.
LeeLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 17:12 PM   #14
Guyfrombrum

Originally Posted by LeeLee View Post
Hi GFB, see if having low-carb meals with the metfarty reduces the antisocial effects. I find it hard to live with myself if I have a high carb meal with the tablets.

Friends keep wondering why i keep on walking to the garden.
Old 21-06-2013, 17:41 PM   #15
Northerner
Admin

Type of Diabetes: Type 1
Were you prescribed any test strips? Ziclaseg is a brand name for Gliclazide which can cause low blood sugars. By law, you have to test before driving when you are on this type of medication.
Northerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 22:36 PM   #16
Highlander

I have never understood the comment, made by many people, that Type 2 diabetics don't have hypos. Not True by any means. Both my wife and I are type 2 and have been for several years. We have both had hypos with readings between 2 and 4, normally when we have been busy. My worst was many years ago when I passed out in the middle of an Asda store, luckily the First Aider new what the problem was and I was OK fairly quickly.

So yes type 2 diabetics do get hypos and need to know the warning signs, particularly if they drive.